Causes and Treatments for Adult Acne
For most of us, acne woes begin during our teenage years and usually subside when we approach adulthood. During our teens, we experience a lot of hormonal changes and sometimes, these changes can cause acne. However, many people suffer from acne even as adults and the reasons for this outbreak may not be the same as teenage acne. As an adult, dealing with acne can be very stressful, so understanding its causes and treating it appropriately, is important in order to get a clear complexion.
Causes of Adult Acne:
• Sebum: Sebum is one of the main causes of adult acne. It is an oily substance that is produced by the sebaceous glands in the skin. This sebum clogs up pores and becomes inflamed as it attracts bacteria.
• Hormones: Hormonal changes affect the sebum level which causes acne. That’s the reason why women face breakouts during their menstruation cycle andmenopause.
• Cosmetics: Cosmetics can also cause adult acne. If you are already prone to acne, it is best to avoid cosmetics, which further aggravate it.
• Stress: Studies suggests that the stress hormone affects the sebum production in the skin, which causes adult acne.
• Hereditary: If you notice that there are several members of your family who suffer from adult acne, there a good chance that the problem is hereditary.
Treatment for Adult Acne:
• Adopt a skincare routine: Since the major cause of acne is the sebum production in the skin, one should takeskincare very seriously. Wash your face with a face wash, specially created for oily skin. Also, try and splash your face with water, several times a day.
• Oil-free cosmetics: If you have acne, you must invest in cosmetics that are non-acnegenic (won’t cause acne) and non-comedogenic (won’t clog pores). Since oil is the main reason for breakouts, always buy oil-free products.
• Anti- acne creams: Anti acne creams can be used for immediate results as they get rid of the acne causing bacteria.
• Home remedies: There are a number of home remedies, which treat acne and these involves herbal ingredients like turmeric, neem leaves, milk et al. For more on acne home remedies, read – Skin Care: Home Remedies for Acne
• High-tech treatments: Many dermatologists offer various high-tech treatments, such as laser treatments, which promise to treat acne as well as acne marks. These treatments are usually effective but they are can burn a hole in your pocket.
Here are some related articles that you might also like:
- Treat Nose Acne Your Self
- Don’t Squeeze! Here Are The Best Ways to Overcome Acne
- Acne makes people vulnerable to suicide?
- Know The Foods That Triggers Acne
- Seaweed Can Kill Acne Bacteria