Honey is Effective to Relieve Cough
Earlier it was known that honey can be used as an antibacterial. This is based on a study conducted by the University of Texas Health Science Center, which found that honey is rich in sugar so it can help create an environment in which bacteria can not survive.
Now a study published in the Archives of Pediatrics and Adolescent Medicine, found that children who receive a small dose of honey before bed will have a better sleep quality and reduce the frequency of coughing. This condition is better than the children who are given medicine.
“This is the first time honey has really proven to be used as a treatment,” said principal study author Dr. Ian Paul of the Penn State College of Medicine, according to ABCNews.
The study involved 105 children aged 2-18 years old and was divided into three groups, which are children who were given honey syrup flavor medicine, a group of children who were given honey and a group of children who were not given anything. It was found that children given honey felt the reduction of symptoms and slept better.
Honey are generally cheaper compared to medication, and have no side effects like dizziness or drowsiness. In addition, honey also tend to be easily obtained.
“It has long been known that demulcents like honey can soothe irritated mucous membranes, and thus can eliminate the irritation that can trigger cough reflex. And generally cough medicine has the same function,” said Paul Doering, deputy director of the Drug Information and Pharmacy Resource Center at the University of Florida.
Recommending honey as a medicine has several advantages, including safer to use than drugs that contain chemicals, and is tradition which is common in society.
Therefor, drinking tea or warm lemon water mixed with honey can be an effective way to reduce sore throats and suppress coughs, so that someone can get a better sleep quality. Honey is generally given as much as 2 teaspoons (10 ml).
However, parents should not give honey to children under the age of 1 year old because the risk of getting infant botulism. Botulism is one type of food poisoning that can cause death.