How to Treat Lower Back Pain?
Treating lower back pain is one of the biggest dilemmas facing healthcare providers. The ailment has become so common that most people do not consider it an issue that needs immediate attention and refrain from getting proper treatment. As a result, many cases end up progressing to serious and complicated conditions. To treat lower back pain effectively, one must seek a timely help from a reputable pain management center.
Lower Back Pain – Determining the Causes
Lower back pain can be caused by a number of factors such as aging, overexertion, stress, strain, degenerative diseases, injury or even poor posture. Before a physician decides on the suitable back pain treatment for a particular patient, he will need to perform some preliminary tests including diagnostic scans such as X-ray, CT or MRI to determine the exact cause of pain.
Most multi-specialty pain management centers undertake a multidisciplinary treatment approach wherein a team of physicians specializing in various fields of medicine would effectively and quickly discuss the patient’s symptoms and treatment options with direct access to the necessary medications, tools and equipment.
Lower Back Pain Management – Treatment and Techniques
Lower back pain management treatment and techniques are oriented towards complete pain relief and full restoration of movement. In almost all cases, treatment for back pain begins with conservative, non-invasive treatment, and progress towards the invasive. These would include:
– Pain medication – prescription strength medication are commonly administered to treat musculoskeletal pain especially the back and neck
– Epidural steroid injections – the injections can help relieve neck, and back pain caused by inflamed spinal nerves.
– Heat and cold packs – they can be very effective in controlling pain and speeding up recovery from injuries or muscle and joint pain
– TENS or ultrasound therapy- the pain relieving modalities provide sensory level stimulation to the back, and help in masking or blocking pain as well as relaxing muscles
– Spinal decompression therapy – this session-based procedure minimizes pain in the lower back that may arise from damaged or degenerative disc syndromes
– Chiropractic care – this is a holistic, hands-on technique which applies a gentle pressure on the spine and affected joints to relieve pain. It stresses the inherent recuperative power of the body to heal itself without the use of drugs or surgery.
– Therapeutic massage – This involves stroking, pressing and kneading the muscles, tendons and ligaments to relieve pain, and to relax, stimulate and tone the body.
– Physical therapy – The focus is on regulated stretches and exercises to improve blood circulation and promote healing
Ensure Successful Treatment
To ensure long lasting relief from pain, the patient would need to work together as a team with his physicians to treat lower back pain. The treatment for lower back pain may also involve regular home-based exercises, muscle development activities, lifestyle modification, learning the safest way to lift objects and maintaining a healthy body weight. by: Igor Stiler