Many people do not completely understand about multiple sclerosis. It is a disease that remains mysterious because what causes it is not known even up to now. But despite being a mystery there are some facts which you should know about this disease.
Multiple sclerosis is a chronic neurological disease that most commonly occurs in young adults and can interfere with personal and professional life. People with this disease are most diagnosed between the ages of 30-40 years and women are more susceptible to this disease than men.
According to the Telegraph, the exact cause of this disease is still unknown, a number of things are thought to be the cause, like abnormal copper metabolism, the effects of cosmic radiation, environmental influences, genetic or autoimmune reaction.
Generally, symptoms that arise are loss of coordination, fatigue unusual tiredness, weakness of limbs, and impaired vision, emotion and speak.
However, according to Peter Behan, professor of neurology at the University of Glasgow and Simone Hutchinson, assistant researcher of the Glasgow Caledonian University, there are some facts that emerged around multiple sclerosis which are:
1. The disease is more prominent in the northern hemisphere with high-risk areas such as Scotland and low risk areas such as South Africa
2. It’s not easy to detect multiple sclerosis, but there are some examinations that will be done in determining the diagnosis, such as brain and spinal cord MRI, electrophysiologic examination to determine the travel of neural signals and taking spinal fluid.
3. This disease can occur in many races, but are not found in American Indians, Australian Aborigines and Maoris
4. Multiple sclerosis is not a contagious disease
5. The possibility of developing multiple sclerosis increases significantly if there is one family member who has the disease
6. There are no typical symptoms of multiple sclerosis. Most patients will experience more than one symptom, and symptoms vary depending on which part of the nervous system are affected
7. Until now there is no cure or treatment that is considered more effective than placebo, so that support from family or support group can really help people who suffer from this disease.Tagged with: Multiple Sclerosis, multiple sclerosis facts, multiple sclerosis symptoms,