Know 4 scientific facts about sleep!
Sleep is the best way to restore the body’s energy. However, some people often experience sleep disturbances, particularly insomnia. In effect, they will have trouble sleeping and wake up early. To improve the quality of your sleep, you should identify the scientific facts about sleep according Live Science.
1. Lack of sleep is a myth
National Sleep Foundation has examined whether people experience sleep deprivation. In fact, the study found that there is no change in sleep time, when compared to the data 40 years ago.
2. As we get older, we need to decrease time of sleep
Last year, the World Health Organization (WHO) said that night shift working can cause sleep problems. In contrast, a recent study suggests that as we age, people need to reduce the time to sleep.
3. Type of sleep
There are several types of sleep that you should recognize, like polyphasic, monophasic and biphasic sleep. Polyphasic sleep refers to the practice of sleep more than two times a day, while biphasic conducted twice (day and night). Finally, monophasic sleep is performed once in 24 hours, especially at night.
4. Sleep when tired
When you feel tired, hurry go to sleep. That’s the best way to recover the body from fatigue. Follow the healthy sleep guidelines below!
- Go to bed at the same time every night.
- Provide enough time for sleep at least 7 hours each night.
- Avoid caffeine, heavy or spicy foods, and alcohol. A minimum of four to six hours before bedtime.
- Have a routine before bed.
- Turn off the lights or sounds that could disturb while sleeping.
- Exercise routine every day. However, do not do it before bed.
Sleeping problems is not a trivial thing that you can ignore. Lack of sleep can cause a variety of health risks, especially heart disease. Avoid the habit of staying up late at night! You should also know about the tips to improve sleep quality.