Parents may not be able to fully watch their children while playing. To prevent children from consuming dangerous goods such as nails, toxic household cleaners, insecticides, bleach, or drugs, do not put those objects carelessly and easily reached by children.
Here are 9 items that are most often swallowed by child, according to whattoexpect:
Crayons has a wide range of colors and smells good, so do not be surprised if your child is interested in eating it. Mostly made of wax crayons and non-toxic pigments that will not cause problems in the baby puts it into their mouth.
Grasses that are consumed by children is not a big problem unless the grass has just been given pesticides. When you realize that, immediately give your child a glass of water which enough for the pesticide to be carried out through urine. If a child shows signs of poisoning, immediately go to the doctor.
3. Leaves and twigs
Eating leaves and twigs in the yard is not harmful for your child, but it is possible to choke them. Small pieces of leaves, bark, and twigs can pass through the digestive system of your child, it could even strengthen immunity.
If you find out your child has swallowed pine twigs or other plant leaves sharp as a needle, make sure the goods are not stuck in your child’s esophagus. Immediately check the condition of the child if the child cryies because of pain around his neck.
4. Water in the bath tub
Sometimes a child will pee in the tub while they are bathing. Baby urine contains nothing yet and would not make them sick if they accidentally took a sip of water in the bathtub.
What is more alarming is the soap in the water. If you are using a product made specifically for infants and children, you need not to worry. But if you use adult shampoo, bubble bath or essential oils, you may need to be aware of its effects, such as diarrhea or abdominal pain.
5. Pet food
Pet food such as cat food has a seductive color for children to eat it. Imminent danger to the child when eating pet food is choking. The food is still safe for children because the body’s digestive just take it as an additional protein.
When your child is playing on the beach or sandbox in the playground, children are likely ingest sand. Sand on the beach and the sandbox can be an open place for defecation of all sorts of animals, especially birds, rodents, and wild cats.
Some animals can carry diseases, including toxoplasmosis, which can be transmitted through feces. If your child is sick, such as fever, vomiting, or diarrhea after swallowing sand, you should consult a doctor.
7. Swimming pool water
You can not prevent your child to sip water from a swimming pool when children are learning to swim. Chlorine in the pool water is a toxic chemical that can burn your child’s throat if swallowed in large amounts may cause abdominal pain.
Some studies also link chlorine exposure to certain cancers. So look carefully when your child is learning to swim in order not to open his mouth too often.
Flies, beetles, ants, insects, and even worms should not be a problem if ingested by your child. But you need to contact your doctor if they swallow a spider, which may be poisonous or other insects that have stings, which contains small amounts of toxins.
9. Chewing gum
Children under five should not chew gum to avoid choking. But the fact is that swallowed chewing gum are not dangerous because it will soon be removed from the body with feces.