Overcome Insomnia Using These 17 Tips
It is very frustrating when you experience difficulty in sleeping at night. Especially if the next day you need to get up early in the mourning to do some important activities like a meeting with clients at the office or having to attend or do an important presentation.
Difficulty in getting sleep at night, or not being able to sleep at night is known as insomnia. There are many causes of this sleep disorder that had been suffered by people for ages. Well, according to the huffingtonpost, if you want to overcome insomnia, you can try these 17 tips provided by Dr. Ronald A Popper, founder and medical director of the ‘Southern California Pulmonary & Sleep Disorder Medica Center.’
1. Do not force it: Go to bed when you feel drowsy, do not force to shut your eyes.
2. Not more, not less: Sleep as long as you need to make your body feels refreshed the next day.
3. Make it a habit: Keep waking up at the same hour every day, including in weekends.
4. Routines: Try to make a regular schedule every day.
5. Perform physical activity: Exercise regularly. Doing aerobics for 4-6 hours before bedtime may help you fall asleep easier. However, on the contrary, exercise that is done early will not affect your sleep. While an exercise that is done close to your bedtime will actually make your find difficulty to get to sleep.
6. Say no to caffeine: Avoid caffeine six hours before bedtime. Caffeine can be found in coffee, tea, soda drinks, chocolate, and tobacco products.
7. Close your ears: If noise is disturbing your night sleep, wear earphones to block the interfering noise.
8. Stay calm: Though a room that is too hot or cold can disrupt your sleep, there is no evidence that it can interfere with a person’s sleep.
9. Have a snack in the middle of the night: Hunger may disturb your sleep. A snack or light meal may help you. But do not have a heavy meal, because if you consume a heavy meal close to your bedtime, it can cause sleep disruption due to symptoms of heart beat weakening.
10. Avoid alcoholic beverages: Alcohol may make you feel sleepy, but people who sleep due to drinking alcoholic beverages usually do not sleep soundly and generally does not refresh the body.
11. Do not take pills: the use of sleeping pills to help fall sleep are ineffective for the most cases of insomnia.
12. Do not take a nap at noon: Try to avoid naps because you may find it more difficult to sleep at night.
13. Do not just lie down: If you can not sleep, do not just lie down and be quiet in bed while “struggling to get to sleep”. The solution is to get out of the bed and do something that makes you feel sleepy and relaxed until you are ready for bed.
14. Only use bedroom for sleeping and sex: Your bedroom should be used only for sleeping and sexual activity alone. Other activities that are done while awake should be done in other rooms. This includes activities of watching television, reading, taking calls, arguing or having long discussions, counting receipts or working on the bed can be distracting.
15. Know the right moment: If sexual activity tends to lead to excitement instead of calming, it should be done at another time instead of before bed, or should be done elsewhere than in the bedroom.
16. Stay away from the clock: If you tend to always see the clock, keep the clock away from your sight, so you can not see it anymore. It is okay for the alarm clock to stay in your room, but do not see the clock moving or it will aggravate your insomnia.
17. Make certain rituals: If there is a ritual before bed that can help you feel relaxed, then do it. However, the activity should be done outside the bedroom. Such as reading books, watching television, meditation, prayer or worship, a warm bath, drinking a glass of milk, make a list of activities to be done next and seek solutions of existing problems.